Table of contents for Aging Gracefully
- Easy Choices for a Longer, Happier Life Pt.1
- Easy Choices for a Longer, Happier Life Pt.2
There is no need to succumb to the typical ailments of aging and, especially, feel its affects early on as you can make easy lifestyle changes to creat an extended, healthier life!
(This is Part 2 of a two-part post. In Part 1, we covered an example of how simple lifestyle changes affect your quality of life, as well as 8 tips on anti-aging. To read Part 1, use the series link on Aging Gracefully above. Today we will continue with more simple lifstyle tips to increase longevity and quality of life.)
The online organization, Anti Aging Guide 2009, has a graph showing which lifestyle changes add the most years to your life! Here’s a sampling. Use the link in the footnotes to see the full chart.
Note: If you make all the types of changes shown in their chart (not all listed here) and begin in your 20’s, you can add 60-80 years to your life. If you start at 45-50, you can still gain 30-40 years. (A)
1. Periodic fasting and calorie restriction can add 40-50 years.
2. Good nutrition can add 15-25 years.
3. Quality of life – prosperity, relaxation, regular vocations – can add 15-25 years.
4. Regular exercise can add 10-20 years. (A)
The organization, My Health Span, has a list of over 80 Lifestyle Anti Aging Factors, some of which are often unheard of. It is well worth using the link to read the whole list. Here are 13:
1. Calm, but alert temperament
2. Short commute to work
3. Walk 2 miles a day
4. Eat red meat once a week or less
5. Use sunscreen
6. Have a pet
7. Have a regular daily routine
8. Work no more than 40 hours a week
9. Take a yearly vacation of at least 6 days
10. Set new goals and look for new challenges
11. Expect good things to happen
12. Not constantly critical of yourself or others
13. Avoid regretting sacrifices made in life (B)