Reading Level: Impassioned
The desire for effective treatment of arthritis pain is a worldwide one.
Studies suggest about 40 million people suffer from arthritis in the USA alone. In Part 2 of this post on arthritis, I’ve compiled several lists and links for effective, natural arthritis treatment by various organizations. It is a lot of information. However, there are such a vast number of people whose quality of life is greatly diminished by the pain of arthritis that I wanted to provide you with as many options as possible. If one is not presently working for you, I trust you find here another method to receive healing in your body and restoration to your quality of life.
First, let’s take a look at this highly informative quote from Dr. Weil about arthritis. Dr. Weil is a well-known MD who encourages natural remedies when possible. He has a line of supplements available at health food stores and on the web.
Rheumatoid arthritis is one of the most common autoimmune disorders, diseases caused by the immune system attacking the body’s own tissues. Autoimmune reactions may be triggered by infection, tissue injury, or emotional trauma in people with a genetic predisposition to them. Conventional medicine treats rheumatoid arthritis with steroids and other immunosuppressive medications, most of which are toxic when used long-term. Try to avoid these strong drugs if you can. Patients who are dependent on them are less likely to respond to natural treatments. (1)
I think 2 points from the quote are particularly of great significance.
• First, notice that autoimmune diseases such as arthritis can be triggered by trauma. I’ve referred to research in previous posts of our need to deal effectively with stress and traumatic experiences so that they will not create disease in our bodies. (Click here to read my posts on stress, Stress: How to Cope and Stress; How to Cope Part 2 )
• Second, steroids and similar treatments hinder the effectiveness of natural remedies. This is significant even in my own family, as I have a relative who was on steroids for ITP and was taking natural supplements for various ailments. He is finally off the steroids, but this means that the supplements will have greater results now that he is off the steroids.
Here are excerpts from Dr. Weil’s natural arthritis treatments. Please click here to read his article in full.
For General Arthritis:
• Follow a low-protein, high-carbohydrate diet; minimize consumption of foods of animal origin.
• Eliminate milk and milk products including commercial foods made with milk.
• Avoid all polyunsaturated vegetable oils, partially hydrogenated oils, margarine, vegetable shortening.
• Increase intake of omega-3 fatty acids by eating more cold water fish, walnuts or freshly ground flaxseeds.
• Get regular aerobic exercise (swimming is best for those with rheumatoid arthritis).
• Practice relaxation techniques.
• Avoid health care practitioners who make you feel pessimistic about your condition.
• Eliminate or reduce intake of coffee and tobacco as both have been liked to an increased risk for rheumatoid arthritis. (1)
For Rheumatoid Arthritis:
• One at a time, eliminate the following categories of food for two months: (1) all sugar except natural fruits; (2) all citrus fruits; (3) wheat, corn and soy. At the end of each trial period, restore the eliminated items to your diet. You may find that one or more has an influence on your arthritis symptoms.
• For symptomatic treatment use aspirin and other over-the-counter anti-inflammatory drugs.
• Take feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium) for its anti-inflammatory effect; one to two capsules twice a day.
• Use anti-inflammatory herbs. Ginger and turmeric are particularly effective. I recommend Zyflamend, made by New Chapter Inc., which includes both. You can continue to take these herbs indefinitely. (1) Immerse Yourself in the Full Healing Contemplation Here »